Tuesday 13 November 2007

Lest we forget

Remembrance Sunday..

I am watching a programme on Wilfred Owen, perhaps the greatest of war poets. I do not think that today’s world can possibly comprehend the hell, he, and millions of others went (and still do today) go through.

Just one of 200 cemeteries in the Somme area in France, list 7,000 graves, two thirds of these are unnamed,

THE WASTE OF LIFE IS ASTONISHING

My Granddad joined up in the WW2... Volunteered... because he was so against Hitler. Could I ever do something so brave?? I can not answer.

I want to watch the programme, yet I do not. The trick is to get today’s and tomorrow’s youth to see and remember these images, and hopefully never go to war again.

Lest we forget…

1 comment:

Stephen Baker said...

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

George Orwell