Wednesday 7 November 2007

shaving...

I hate shaving…

Why do men spend so much time shaving?
The climate aint that cold that we need the hair.
And it only causes cuts, burns, in growing hairs, expense for the blades etc.

Before 3000 BC man used 2 sharp shells to shave, until the advent of the Copper age, when the copper razor was invented. Alexander the Great in the 4th century was a big advocator of shaving. Ancient Egypt and the introduction of Hygiene (taken seriously) took to shaving like a duck to water. Religions take shaving seriously, But it is still a pain…

A survey in Britain recently found that the most common item to be shop lifted were razor blades, so the demand is high, and over a lifetime we probably pay thousands for them…

I shave the wrong way, upwards, anything to try and go longer without shaving, I think about buying an electric razor, but it is hard to start electric, when you wet shave.

I shave my head, the money you save is phenomenal, but going to the barbers is like a social outing for me, Saturday morning once a month in the barbers is great. Coffee the banter... etc

The quest for aftershave, balm etc to stop the rash, or burn is always on. More money, more time hunting…?? But the alternative is to grow a beard, and I have no hair on the top of my head, I would look like some kinda hells angel gone wrong!!!

I hate shaving….


currently listening to the very best of Marvin Gaye..

4 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

My partner hates shaving too. He only does it once every 6mths or so, but unlike other women, I totally prefer him with a beard.

Razors are expensive! I hate having to buy new ones for me, let alone keeping Nat in razors as well.

Stephen Baker said...

I concur, it's a pain and it hurts. It could be worse we could have to shave our legs.

Anonymous said...

Your knowledge of the history of shaving is astounding! Now that is not information you can get from a formal university course. One might suspect you have been reading Mustaches of the Nineteenth Century , which coincidentally has an entire area devoted to Guy Fawkes.

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Oh, John DETESTS shaving. He keeps flopping back and forth between the razors and the elecric.

At least you're not expected to shave your crotch area everytime you don a swimsuit, your ARMPITS - that is delicate skin, damnit!, and your ENTIRE surface area of BOTH legs. Sheesh!

Why can't hairy just = sexy!?