Monday 5 November 2007

the weekend cometh.. ( 3 days ago )

“Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,”….

…..“ And as I was green and carefree, famous among the barns
About the happy yard and singing as the farm was home
In the sun that is young once only,
Time let me play and be. “

Dylan Thomas “Fern Hill”


What great words eh!! But then I got older and the stress kicked in.

I never thought that turning 30 would be a big deal, I was wrong; I found I now have a far heightened sense of my mortality, and getting older. Whether this has been increased because have having Darcy, and caring for her, I’m not sure. But I am more stressed. Goodness help me when I reach 40!!

I can see a natural progression in my life, school, Uni, met Jayne, moved to Tredegar, Bought car, 10 years later marry Jayne, buy new car, buy house, get Darcy !The older we get, the less time we have to “play and be”. We have more responsibilities, more people rely on us, and we on them. But I wouldn’t change the past for anything!

I look at my pension slip, it says 32.7 years to go before retirement. Can I work like I do for that amount of time? By then Jayne and I will have been married for 35+years, and Darcy will be 32 years old. The same age as I am now! Probably thinking the same thoughts as I am now!

I need to “play and be” more…… the weekend cometh!

3 comments:

Stephen Baker said...

I think you need to come out drinking with us on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I think that's an excellent plan.
I'll come out and drink with both of ya.

:)

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Those kiddos age you and keep you young at the same time, don't they?!